Datamarts are a fully managed database that enables you to store and explore your data in a relational and fully manage Microsoft Azure SQL Data Base. Datamarts provide SQL support, a no-code visual query designer, Row Level Security (RLS), and auto-generation of a dataset for each datamart. You can perform ad-hoc analysis and create reports, all on the web.
Datamarts provide a semantic layer that is automatically generated and synchronized with the contents of the datamart tables, their structure, and underlying data. This layer is provided in an automatically generated dataset. This automatic generation and synchronization enable you to further describe the domain of data with things like hierarchies, friendly names, and descriptions. You can also set formatting specific to your locale or business requirements. With datamarts, you can create measures and standardized metrics for reporting. Power BI (and other client tools) can create visuals and provide results for such calculations based on the data in context.
Datamarts are useful in bridging the gap between business users and IT. Datamarts are self-service analytics solutions, that enable users to store and explore data that is loaded in a fully managed database. Datamarts provide a simple and optionally no-code experience to ingest data from different data sources, extract transform, and load (ETL) the data using Power Query, then load it into an Azure SQL database that's fully managed and requires no tuning or optimization.
Once data is loaded into a datamart, you can additionally define relationships and policies for business intelligence and analysis. Datamarts automatically generate a dataset or semantic model, which can be used to create Power BI reports and dashboards. You can also query a datamart using a T-SQL endpoint or using a visual experience.
Datamarts offer the following benefits:
- Self-service users can easily perform relational database analytics, without the need for a database administrator.
- Datamarts provide end-to-end data ingestion, preparation, and exploration with SQL, including no-code experiences.
- Enable building semantic models and reports within one holistic experience.
- 100% web-based, no other software required.
- A no-code experience resulting in a fully managed datamart.
- Automated performance tuning.
- Built-in visual and SQL Query editor for ad-hoc analysis.
- Support for SQL and other popular client tools.
- Native integration with Power BI, Microsoft Office, and other Microsoft analytics offerings.
- Included with Power BI Premium capacities and Premium Per User.
Microsoft Power BI Datamarts are targeted toward interactive data workloads for self-service scenarios. For example, if you're working in accounting or finance, you can build your own data models and collections, which you can then use to self-serve business questions and answers through T-SQL and visual query experiences. In addition, you can still use those data collections for more traditional Power BI reporting experiences. Datamarts are recommended for customers who need domain-oriented, decentralized data ownership and architecture, such as users who need data as a product or a self-service data platform.
Learn more about getting Better Business Intelligence with
Access our Free
Posted by iCepts Technology Group, Inc. A